August 4, 2014 • admin
Try This Cheat + Avoid A Meltdown
If there’s one thing that is totally acceptable to buy from the supermarket, it’s puff pastry. The reasons are two-fold. First, it takes a lot of time, patience and skill to laminate dough (folding it with butter to make hundreds of pillowy layers, a process that is just asking for a kitchen meltdown). And the kind from the supermarket always comes out perfectly. It’s the most predictable dough out there.
Once it’s thawed (but still very cold), you can do a number of things with puff pastry. Fill it with chocolate and make croissants, roll it with spinach and feta for spanikopita, encase hot dogs for pigs in a blanket. Yesterday, I made a tomato tart.
Here it is:
Add the accoutrements (basil + parm).
- 1 sheet of thawed but cold puff pastry dough
- 25 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 tbs mixed chopped herbs (I used basil, parsley and chives)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan and chiffonade of basil to sprinkle over top
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place thawed puff dough on a greased baking sheet, roll it out dough until it is about an 11X11" square. Fold ½" of the dough over each side toward the middle (like a square pizza crust). Secure the folds by crimping with a fork. Put the prepped dough back in the fridge.
- Combine tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, herbs, salt and pepper in a bowl. Taste for seasoning.
- Take dough out of fridge and carefully arrange tomatoes inside the puff folds. Sprinkle salt over the folds/crust and place into the oven. Bake until crust has puffed above the tomatoes and is golden brown and crisp (about 25 minutes).
- Serve hot or at room temp. Sprinkle with basil and Parmesan to finish.
Save the extra puff dough for your next dinner party. Or make a second tart and invite me over.
Most Recent Posts
August 4, 2014
March 13, 2014
March 12, 2014
March 9, 2014
March 4, 2014
February 28, 2014
February 21, 2014
- Our favorite #recipe cheat: store-bought puff dough. See how it turns out with this tomato tart: http://t.co/xYb95qyUNj
- We're all about #queens. Check out @amNewYork for @RavenousREL's review of @LICMarket: http://t.co/C9SlK0KDxH
- We loved dinner @RFDecoy. #PekingDuck was insane. Check it out in @amNewYork: http://t.co/j9PgoeCND7
- #CrabCakes #Lobster #Oysters all at @TheClamNYC from @chef_mikeprice. Check out @RavenousREL's review in @amNewYork http://t.co/6VnYnf3kjc